Our Apfelschorle Recipe Makes A Refreshing German Apple Drink!
Looking for a simple drink with a bit of carbonation? Then Apfelschorle is for you! Apfelschorle – pronounced “app-fell-shore-le” – is simply a German apple spritzer.
This classic German fizzy drink – sometimes called Apfelsaftschorle – is also known in Austria and Switzerland.
If you’re wondering how to make Apfelschorle, you’re in for an easy task. That’s because our Apfelschorle recipe is extremely simple to make.
All you need is some apple juice and carbonated water and you’ve got yourself a refreshing juice spritzer.
It’s (at least partly) true what they say about Germans: Germans love drinking sparking water and adding it to other beverages to dilute them.
You can find carbonated water mixed with many kinds of juices or even wine – and the result is always delicious.
These juices and wines mixed with carbonated water are often called “Schorle”. We’ve got a great recipe for Weinschorle, if you’re curious!
So, if you add carbonated water to apple juice, you get an apple spritzer – Apfelschorle in German!
Believe it or not, these kinds of drinks are very commonplace in Germany.
Often time, you’ll see some type of “Schorle” listed on a menu at restaurants (and not even in the kid section).
These are fully accepted as a solid choice for a non-alcoholic drink – and Apfelschorle is often Lisa’s go-to drink.
When making Apfelschorle, you can customize it to your taste. You can always add more apple juice for sweetness or more water for a more diluted taste.
We like making Apfelschorle with medium carbonated water, but that’s totally a personal preference.
If you have a kitchen device like a SodaStream, you can make your carbonated water as sparkling as you like!
If you liked this recipe for Apfelschorle, here are some more classic German drinks you can whip up at home:
Apfelschorle (German Apple Spritzer)
- 1/3 cup apple juice
- 2/3 cup carbonated water
- Pour the apple juice into a glass.
- Add the carbonated water.
- We like using a ratio of 1:2 apple juice to water. However, if you want it a bit sweeter you can use equal parts apple juice and water.
- Apfelschorle can also be made with North American apple cider as opposed to apple juice. We’re talking about the unfiltered apple juice here and not the alcoholic beverage.
- Carbonated water in Germany comes in various levels of carbonation – “little gas”, “medium gas” and “lots of gas”. If you have a kitchen product like a SodaStream you can make your carbonated water as fizzy as you like!
This nutritional information has been estimated by an online nutrition calculator. It should only be seen as a rough calculation and not a replacement for professional dietary advice.